Value your friendships

19 March 2008

I just came across a very interesting article on friendships. I fully agree with the author.

With today's busy schedules it gets hard to succesfully maintain a career and a social life. Your job tends to demand more and more from you mentally and physically. At some point you will be forced to choose, and you will end up breaking promises and letting people down.

Most of the time the people we end up letting down are our friends, because we choose our careers, our jobs, our livelyhood. And slowly we begin to loose them.
It's a slow process, it can even take a while before you realize that your friendships aren't as strong as they used to be.
And before you know it, you need a friend and no one is there. You need someone to talk to and there is no one willing to listen.

The most important thing during this process is off course to not loose sight of what is important in your life. Is it the bonuses, the jobperks, the salary increases or is it the friendships?
I don't mean that you can't have both, but you need to know what you want and what you value.
Evaluate what you have and what you want to hold on too.
Put in that effort. It will take sacrifice but anything that is worth having is worth fighting for.

That same amount of effort you put into careerbuilding should be put into your social life. Let the people in your life know that you value them. Value their friendship and treat them the way you want them to treat you.

5 spoke to me:

Rachel S said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel S said...

thanks so much - your link is up :)

Josh said...

Friends are lifetime that is for sure. I have had some of the same friends since second grade and have moved 10 times since.

That one girl, Kiesha said...

Excellent article, I agree completely. I'm currently struggling with maintaining friendships because of work (and a new boyfriend). It's nice to have reminders like these to get my social life in order.

Regular Guy said...

I think that you will really like my latest post, The Important Things In Life! Check it out and let me know what you think. I came across your blog because I just exchanged links with wordwelder. Perhaps you and I could do the same. I really enjoyed yor blog!

 
*Seeking*Serenity* - Made free by Free Blog,SEO Created by Diznews Online
by TNB